Thursday, January 14, 2010

Literary Profile

Hi, my name is Brooke Yerrington and my earliest childhood memories of literature would have to be when I was staring school. I can remember sitting in my classroom, right before nap time, and the teacher would always have a book to read to us. I loved listening to all the different nursery rhymes, especially "Mary Had a Little Lamb" because I loved animals. I can still remember sitting in class and actually wishing that I could have a lamb to bring to school too. However, school was defiantly not the starting point of literature in my life, it was actually every single night before I went to bed. My dad would read to my sister and I a bedtime story every single night. Even though most of his stories were made up, his imagination and vivid details painted new worlds of ideas in my head. They were always comical and had my sister and I laughing hysterically. Throughout the years I was not much of a reader but had read some very profound books as my life with Christ blossomed. When I was going through a tough time in high school, dealing with rejection and a loss of identity, my friend recommended a book called, "Redeeming Love" by Francine Rivers. It was probably the first book I actual read because someone recommended it to me. It helped with so many things in my life, especially with learning of God's unconditional love, something I have yet to fathom. I had felt ashamed, condemned, and alone, all because of the many mistakes I had made. The book taught me that I was not alone, in fact God was with me ever step of the way and He had a purpose and destiny for my life that He was not going to let me miss. The gift of literature should not be taken lightly, for it matters in so many different ways. Words are very powerful, in fact they can be used for destruction or they can be used to lift someone up and revive them from the state they are in. Literature can make you laugh, it can make you cry, it can tell you about our world's past, present and future. Literature informs, entertains, and in some cases, delegates. It is a useful tool, in which answers are found and things are made clear. It is vital that we, as the human race realize just how valuable literature truly is, because I believe that our future is in the books and that is why literature matters. Unfortunately, with such a wonderful gift given to creation, it also has its flaws. I direct this comment strictly to the press, in which I believe is corrupt but powerful. Powerful in a sense that it has the ability to persuade the minds of society and the ethical thinking of our government. For this type of literature, or should I say news, sways the facts and information they choose to publish, which in turn, molds the minds of society to believe a false pretense. Tabloids are also another form of literature that I believe does not matter because they have absolutely no moral basis in which they gain or conduct their information. It is almost sickening to know that such a wonderful form of art, the ability to write and inform others, has been demoralized to a standard of low satisfaction. Nevertheless, thankfully, there are stories with publishers that do hold higher standards for themselves. There are authors who believe there is a great reason to write and it all started at the age of childhood when they heard the imagination and fantasy of their first bedtime story.

5 comments:

  1. Brooke, thank you for being so transparent...I feel like I know you =) It excites me to hear all that God has done and is continuing to do in your life.

    I definitely agree with you about the importance and power of words...and I never thought about the negatives that you wrote about, but its so true...tabloids are so degrading and stupid!

    ps. I like furry animals as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great memory of stories with your dad.

    I also appreciate the way that you connect your spiritual walk with reading.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tabloids are truly the lowest form of literature. Closely followed by steamy romance novels and the authors of the Communist Manifesto.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ok so redeeming love is one of my alltime favorite books!!! my roommate sunnee and i have read that book so many times!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great Post. Thanks for being open.

    ReplyDelete