Saturday, April 10, 2010

Polk Art Museum: "Faces"

"I went to the Polk Museum of Art for this assignment, and I stayed there for at least 40 minutes." My visit was an interesting one, as I walked around intrigued by all the painting and sculptures. I never knew Lakeland had an art museum until this field trip, in fact, because of Professor Corrigan's class, I have found out about a lot of cool places that I had no idea existed. By going to the museum, I was able to understand how visualizing and paying attention to detail helps with literature. I noticed that as I walked through the different galleries, I caught myself questioning the art and the meaning behind each painting, and I found myself, as I passed each painting, being inspired instantaneously to write a new line of poetry. I really felt like I engaged the art as I spent time contemplating over the different usages of painting styles and techniques. Questions such as, "Why did the artist create this image" or "what does the colors portray in this painting" were rummaging my mind. With paintings with faces or actual bodies, I found myself starring into the eyes of the person drawn and I could feel myself actually becoming apart of the painting, entering into the world of the imagination that brought these portraits to life. I wanted to know about the person's past or why they had a particular look on their face, mostly I wanted to know if their was any connection between the artist and the picture. I wanted to find out if the painting reflected the emotions of the artist or if the painting was simply just for the artistic look that it illuminated from the page. When I entered the upper level of the museum, I came across this one particular painting that was titled, "Faces". I absolutely loved it, because, to me, it portrayed the physicality's of a face and the structure that it takes to make a face, and through that it made me think about the life and emotion that comes from within a face through the genetic make-up and formation. It had many abstract lines and faces that were made from the lines, some took me a while to find, but after looking at it for a couple of minutes, my mind raced with thoughts of, "should we trust the character of a face" or better asked, "can we trust the make-up of a face, or a face just made from structure, without life, from which we cannot trust?" I came to the conclusion that faces, are simply faces, and we must not be deceived by how people look, and on the flip-side, we must not judge people on how they look, because their face is just the structure, not the actual life and emotion within the person.

"The Structure"

This face I see,
I stare at,
it seems so real,
with emotion, thought, and substance.
I believe the face, the structure.

A tingle sends a chill down my spine,
I look again, the face is different.
Once with a faint smile, now a disapproving glare.
Is it real?
It only stares.

I do not know which to believe, my own face or hers,
we both are made from symmetry and structure,
we both have a mystery behind;
however, with this face I cannot decide.

She is a woman,
I do not know her,
yet, she knows me well.
I have met her once, but she sees through me,
through the structure of my face, but I cannot see through hers.
I see the lines and shapes that make her,
and she sees mine,
we are the same, yet different.

What can I know from this face, or any face?
I know her structure,
her poise and symmetry,
but I do not know beyond that.
This curiosity drives me to stare back,
back into the black holes of her eyes,
all to figure out a mystery,
the mystery behind.
I feel emotion and show it, but she does not.
Her emotion is reserved, held back from me,
I do not understand.
Is she real?
She seems sweet, but is she?
I seem nice, but am I?

How can one tell from a face?
Can it add life,
or is it simply the genetic make?
I look again at her, I am trapped within my own questions
I look away, figuring that I will never know her,
know her from within.
The question lingers.
Do faces provide life or are we simply structurally made?

No comments:

Post a Comment